Terms and Conditions
EXTREME HOME ACCESSIBILITY HOME RENOVATION CONTEST
OFFICIAL CONTEST RULES
The Extreme Home Accessibility Home Renovation Contest (the “Contest”) is presented by Durham Medical 1983 Ltd. (“ Durham Medical”) and John McLellan Contracting Inc. (“JMC”) (the “Sponsors”).
1) NO PURCHASE NECESSARY TO ENTER THE CONTEST OR WIN A PRIZE. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE CHANCES OF WINNING.
2) Grand Prize. This Contest offers a single grand prize (the “Grand Prize”) consisting of a credit of up to $30,000 to be applied with respect to a home renovation by JMC of the Winner’s personal residence to improve its accessibility (the “Accessibility Renovation”).
4) Agreement. By participating in this Contest, participants: (a) agree to be bound by these official rules and by the decisions of the Sponsors and the Judges, which are final in all matters relating to the Contest; (b) agree to provide, upon Sponsors’ request, proof of identification and proof of age; (c) agree to provide access to your residence for the purposes of and (d) acknowledge and confirm their eligibility to participate in the Contest and their compliance with these official rules.
5) Entry. The contest begins on May 6, 2013 at 0:01 (Eastern Time) (the “Contest Start Date”). To enter, a participant must access the online entry portal located at ww.DurhamHomeRenoContest.ca (the “Contest Portal”) and complete the online entry form (the “Online Application”) by providing his or her name, residential address, e-mail address, telephone number, age (for eligibility purposes), whether they own or rent his or her residence as well as a detailed explanation as to why the participant needs renovations to his or her residence and deserves to win the Contest (the “Personal Story”). The Personal Story must be delivered to the Sponsors via the Contest Portal following the Contest Start Date but no later than August 1, 2013 at 23:59. Participants are NOT required to provide any information about their health, including any information about any medical condition or disability that they may have. Participants who do not provide personal information but otherwise comply with these official rules, will not be penalised or see their chances of being selected reduced. The Personal Story must NOT contain any material inaccuracies .
Only one entry per participant will be accepted with respect to participation in the Contest. Participants must provide a personal e-mail address when entering the Contest and may not provide a shared e-mail account. Incomplete or inaccurate entries are void. All entries and entry materials become the property of the Sponsors and will not be returned.
Entries that do not include a Personal Story or that otherwise fail to provide any information set forth in the Online Application, or with respect to which the Personal Story is off topic or contains material inaccuracies, will be declared null and void and the participant will be disqualified. All entries submitted in accordance with these official rules shall be collectively referred to in these official rules as the “ Eligible Entries.”
6) Judging Criteria . Eligible Entries will be judged on the needs and reasons expressed in the Personal Story together with the manner in which the foregoing have been expressed and the quality of such expression.
7) Selection of Potential Finalists. A panel of judges consisting of representatives selected by the Sponsors (the “Judges”) will pick five (5) potential finalists (the “Potential Finalists”) on August 26, 2013, from the Eligible Entries, based on the judging criteria set forth in paragraph 6) above.All decisions of the Judges and the Sponsors related to this Contest are final.
8) Selection of Grand Prize Winner. During the first two weeks of September, 2013, Potential Finalists will be contacted to confirm their eligibility and to schedule a visit of their residence by the Sponsors, the construction contractor and an occupational therapist, for the purposes to assess the suitability and safety of the proposed Accessibility Renovation of their personal residence and whether the foregoing can be completed within the credit limit ($30,000) (the “Site Visit”). The Sponsors will make a maximum of two attempts within seven days to schedule a Site Visit with a Potential Finalist at the number and/or email provided with his/her Online Application, and the Potential Finalist must make his or her personal residence available during the first two weeks of September 2013, failing which he or she will be disqualified. In addition to the foregoing, A Potential Finalist will be disqualified and his or her entry deemed to be null and void in the event of any one or more of the following (each of which will be determined by the Sponsors in their sole discretion): (i) if it is discovered that his or her Personal Story is inaccurate in any material respect; (ii) if the Potential Finalist’s residence is unsuitable in terms of the Accessibility Renovation including, without limitation, in terms of safety before, during and after construction, or in terms of the necessity of such Accessibility Renovations given the present state of the residence, or whether such Accessibility Renovations can be completed within the $30,000 budgetary limit; (iii) if the Accessibility Renovation of the Potential Finalist’s residence would not comply with Applicable Laws and Rules; (iv) if the Potential Finalist is not agreeable to the Accessibility Renovation proposed by the Sponsors following the Site Visit; and/or (v) if a Potential Finalist who does not own his or her place of residence, during the Site Visit fails to provide the Sponsors with a full and irrevocable consent, waiver and release from the property owner with respect to the undertaking of the Accessibility Renovation on the subject property. In this respect, a Potential Finalist must provide the Sponsors with any and all records, documentation and other materials requested by the Sponsors for the purpose of Sponsors determining whether any of the above circumstances may apply. After performance of all Site Visits, all Potential Finalists who have not been disqualified will be declared a finalist (each, a “Finalist”).
9) Determination of Grand Prize Winner. Determination of the Grand Prize will be by way of a random draw among all Finalists to select a single winner (the “Winner”). Such draw will take place on September 30, 2013 (“Draw Date”) at 13:00. Odds of winning the Grand Prize depend on the number of Eligible Entries received, and the content and quality of each of their Personal Story, as well as the number of Finalists.
10) Winner Verification. Following selection of the winners, the Sponsors will make a maximum of two attempts within fourteen days of the Draw Date to reach each such potential winner at the number and/or email provided with his/her Online Application. The Winner will be required to correctly answer a time limited, mathematical skill testing question without assistance of any kind and to execute and deliver to the Sponsors a signed acceptance of these official rules and release of liability in favour of the Contest Entities, in the form provided by the Sponsors, within seven days from the date on which the form is sent by the Sponsors to the potential winner. Entry into the Contest constitutes permission to use the Winners’ name, neighbourhood within the Regional municipality of Durham, voice, likeness and/or details of the Accessibility Renovation (including, without limitation, pictures of the Winner’s personal residence both before and after the completion of the Accessibility Renovation), without limitation, for promotional purposes without further permission or compensation. If a potential winner is unreachable or does not qualify, the name of another Finalist shall be randomly drawn until a Winner who satisfies all the conditions and requirements of these official rules is selected. In the event that no Winner is selected and the pool of Finalists is exhausted, this Contest will be cancelled and the Grand Prize will not be awarded.
11) Announcement. The Winner will be announced on September 30, 2013 (the “Announcement Date”) at 13:00 at the Durham Medical’s offices located at 242 King Street East, Oshawa, Ontarioas well ason the Contest Portal. The Sponsors expressly reserves the right to delay the announcement of the Winner for creative or technical reasons or if for any other reason that the Sponsors deems necessary.
12) Receipt and Acceptance of Grand Prize. No substitution or transfer of the Grand Prize or any portion of the Grand Prize is permitted and the Grand Prize cannot be cashed. Upon receipt of the Grand Prize the Winner is required to comply with any and all applicable federal, provincial and local laws, rules and regulations. The Winner is solely responsible for any and all applicable federal, provincial, municipal and local taxes that become due with respect to the Grand Prize or any increase thereof caused by completion of the Accessibility Renovation. Participants acknowledge and agree that completion of the Accessibility Renovation may result in their residence being reassessed for municipal tax purposes and that the foregoing may result in an increase in municipal taxes payable with respect to such property. Participants are solely responsible for verifying whether and how any allowance, credits, available deduction or other benefits they may be receiving will be affected by receipt of the Grand Prize.
13) Fulfillment of Prizes. The Winner will be required to provide such assistance as the Sponsors may require with respect to the undertaking and completion of the Accessibility Renovation, including, without limitation, assistance with respect to all permits, consents and authorizations required in conjunction with Applicable Laws and Rules. If it is later discovered that the Accessibility Renovation cannot be completed, cannot be completed within a reasonable time frame, or cannot be completed within the $30,000 budget, the Sponsors may elect, in their sole discretion, to substitute the Grand Prize for an amount of $30,000 less the fair market value of any renovations undertaken and which have been substantially completed. The Winner must provide access to his or her personal residence at all reasonable times for the purposes of completion of the Accessibility Renovation failing which the Grand Prize will be forfeited. A forfeited Grand Prize will not be awarded to other Finalists.
14) Indemnification. Participants shall indemnify and hold the Contest Entities and their respective parent companies, affiliated companies, subsidiaries and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, members and representatives, harmless from any damages, costs, expenses (including legal fees and disbursements), penalties, assessments, sanctions, liabilities and other losses that arise from any breach by them of these official rules.
15) General Terms. The Contest Entities assume no responsibility for incorrect or inaccurate entry information whether caused by any of the equipment or software associated with or utilized in this Contest or by any human error, which may occur in the processing of the entries in this Contest. The Contest Entities are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, public or private network, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or players on account of technical problems, misdirected, altered, distorted or deleted entries or traffic congestion on the Internet or on any website, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Contest. If, for any reason, the Contest is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer viruses, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures or any other causes beyond the reasonable control of the Contest Entities, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of this Contest, the Contest Entities reserve the right in their sole discretion to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Contest. Should the Contest be terminated prior to the stated contest entry expiration date, notice will be posted on the Contest Portal and the selection of Potential Finalist may be selected from among all Eligible Entries received up until the time of termination of the contest entry period.
All interpretations of these official rules and decisions by the Contest Entities and the Judges are final. The Contest Entities reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering or has tampered with the entry process or the operation of this Contest; to be acting in violation of these official rules; or to be acting in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner, or with intent to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other person; or to have provided inaccurate information on any documents submitted in connection with this Contest.
CAUTION : Any attempt by any individual to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest is a violation of criminal and/or civil laws and should such an attempt be made, the Sponsors reserve the right to seek damages from any such individual to the fullest extent permitted by the law. Participants acknowledge and understand of the insecure nature of the internet and of internet communications and agree that they assume all risks with respect to participation in the contest through use of the internet and with respect to any e-mail communication sent by them or addressed to them. . The Contest Entities will have no liability whatsoever (whether based in contract, tort or strict liability) with respect to this Contest and any matter ancillary thereto, including, without limitation, the Grand Prize and/or the delivery of or failure to properly carry out the Accessibility Renovations. Participation in this Contest and acceptance and use of the Grand Prize is at the participant’s sole risk.
The courts located in the city of Toronto, Ontario, will have exclusive jurisdiction in terms of any dispute or matters relating to the Contest and the laws of the province of Ontario and the Federal laws of Canada applicable therein will govern the Contest, including, without limitation the interpretation of these official rules.
Durham Medical 1983 Ltd.
242 King St. E.
Oshawa, ON L1H 1C7
Please note on the front left-hand corner of your outer envelope whether you are requesting “official rules” or the name of the “Winner.” Self-addressed envelopes with insufficient postage shall not be returned and shall be destroyed without notice.
All requests for Winner information must be received by November 30, 2013.